Stopping the run-away printer

I have my 3D printer on a desk which is in the corner of my loft.  I bought this desk from Goodwill because it is very sturdy and would not wiggle when the printer was printing however the desk has a hard-smooth top.  At first I thought the top would be great for my printer however once I started printing I realize that because the surface was so smooth the printer would move around the desk while it was printing.  This quickly because a problem as the printer would move close to the end of the table.  On some of my longer prints, I would need to move the printer back while it was printing.  Trust me it is never a good idea to move the printer while it was printing.

One of the first ideas that I had to prevent the printer from moving around the desk was to get a small rubber dish mat from Wal-Mart.  This worked well at first but it was not big enough for the whole printer to sit on therefore the printer would wobbled a little bit when it was printing. It also did not wear that well and started looked pretty beat up.

My second idea seems to work much better.  I bought the con-tact non-slip non-adhesive shelf liner { http://amzn.to/2pqiJqB }.  This worked much better.  First off I could cut the size I needed from my printer and secondly the shelf liner is designed to prevent slippage so it holds the printer in place. It also looks a lot better than the green rubber mat as you can see from the pictures.


If you have a problem with your printer moving around your desk, I would recommend giving the con-tact shelf liner a try.

Comments

Post a Comment